THE "BIG HOUSE"
Los Alamos Boys Ranch School and Los Alamos (The Town)
Resources > Photo Gallery
The "Big House" was the
dormitory for the Los Alamos Boys Ranch School. Students slept
year-round on its unheated porches. During the Manhattan Project, the
Big House contained, among other things, a library, the Chaplain's Office,
and the Red Cross headquarters. Privileged guests and high-ranking
civilians also sometimes stayed there.
The photograph above is reproduced from Edith C. Truslow, with Kasha V. Thayer, ed., Manhattan Engineer District: Nonscientific Aspects of Los Alamos Project
Y, 1942 through 1946 (Los Alamos, NM: Manhattan Engineer District, ca.
1946; first printed by Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory as LA-5200, March
1973; reprinted in 1997 by the Los Alamos Historical Society),
58. The photograph below is of a group of Ranch School students in
front of the Big House; it is reproduced from "Dateline: Los
Alamos," a special issue of the monthly publication of Los Alamos National Laboratory (1995),
7. At the bottom is an "establishing shot" of Los Alamos in which Fuller Lodge and the Big
House are visible in the distance to the left and the right, respectively;
click here for more information on this
Click on a link below to return to:
Home | History
Office | OpenNet | DOE | Privacy and Security Notices
About this Site | How to Navigate this Site | Note on Sources | Site Map | Contact Us