Personnel of the Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI ) recently contributed to the Department of Energy's (DOE ) "2013 Energy Pledge Campaign "! The 2013 Energy Pledge Campaign was part of DOE's efforts regarding the National Day of Service . Federal Agencies and Individuals joined together to make commitments to a wide range of causes, including energy conservation.
People at OSTI joined the "Saving Energy – Saves Money " cause and pledged everything from turning off the lights when they go out, unplugging unused power cords, recycling, and driving hybrid vehicles. A great commitment was made to engage the next generation, as employees pledged to teach their families and children to be more responsible energy users.
Not only are OSTI individuals making an Energy Pledge, but the OSTI facility team has worked diligently, over many years, to increase the sustainability and efficiency of the OSTI building. In December 2012, the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Sustainability Performance Office  awarded its "SUSTAINABILITY SUPERSTAR" recognition to OSTI. This award particularly highlighted efforts of the OSTI sustainability team, including members supporting the facility, financial and procurement, and making sure that our IT infrastructure is compliant and using the most efficient and cost-effective equipment.
Some of the sustainability accomplishments, or Energy Conservation Measures, that OSTI has made include:
- Installation of an energy efficient boiler in 2010 has reduced natural gas consumption.
- 39% electrical reduction comparing 1989 consumption to 2012.
- 58.5% reduction in water usage from 1990 usage to 2012.
- Installation of a white reflective roof. (Read more about 'cool roof' initiatives at DOE and across the Federal Government .)
- Active recycle program with 15 metric tons of waste diverted from the landfill in FY12.
- OSTI is purchasing renewable energy blocks from the local utility provider to support the local use of renewables.
- OSTI is in the process of installing a wireless lighting technology allowing for programmable set-backs (nightly) on facility lighting with the potential to reduce electrical cost.
Innovation—the mission of OSTI is to advance science and sustain technological creativity by making R&D findings available and useful to DOE researchers and the public, which inherently supports sustainability across the agency, the government, the public, and the world.