- October 2014
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information 2015-2019 Strategic Plan (922-KB PDF)
- The U.S. Department of Energy Office of Scientific and Technical Information 2015-2019 Strategic Plan highlights OSTI’s renewed focus on providing comprehensive access to the results of DOE research and development investments. We have streamlined the portfolio of our public-facing web products to make it easier to find DOE’s R&D results, and we are working to ensure our collections and portals reflect the complete R&D output of DOE. The OSTI Strategic Plan organizes our goals around the sequential and process-oriented nature of OSTI’s business, including the collection, preservation, and dissemination of scientific and technical information emanating from DOE R&D efforts. An extremely exciting element of the Plan is implementation of public access to the peer-reviewed scholarly publications resulting from DOE R&D funding. This Plan is intended to give OSTI strategic focus and discipline, but it is fluid and dynamic and will be adapted and updated as unforeseen conditions and opportunities arise. Above all, OSTI is committed to serving DOE and the American public, and we will listen, respond, and act in your interest.
- July 2012-Present
- "OSTI Newsletter"
- OSTI is the Department of Energy office that collects, preserves, and disseminates DOE-sponsored R&D results. We hope this newsletter boradens public understanding of who we are and how best to use our products and services.
- June 2009
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information 2009-2013 Strategic Plan (2181-KB PDF)
- OSTI works to ensure that U.S. scientists and engineers, educators, entrepreneurs, and the public find the right science information fast.
- What if we could speed the pace of science so that tomorrow’s solutions arrive sooner? We would thus raise our standard of living, improve our quality of life, and increase the security of our Nation. These grand outcomes can be achieved by committing to openly sharing scientific research data and spreading the world’s great scientific discoveries faster. This Strategic Plan outlines steps that would improve the competitiveness of our scientists and engineers by providing them with fast and efficient access to national and international bodies of knowledge relevant to their fields, and to ensure that quality science content is readily findable for citizens everywhere.
- June 2006
- DOE Science Accelerator booklet (655-KB PDF)
- Finding the fast lanes for the spread of knowledge
- It is impractical for scientists to spend time finding and sifting through hundreds, if not thousands, of information sources in various disciplines. The DOE Science Accelerator, currently in prototype, will enable scientists to allocate their research energy as well as the nation's research resources on what's really important — using that information for life-altering discovery. Through innovation and research, OSTI is finding the fast lanes for knowledge diffusion to propel researchers toward scientific discovery. The DOE Science Accelerator will be the resource that allows scientists to search the whole of deep web science directly from their desktops.
- "The Oak Ridge Technical Information Center – A Trailblazer in Federal Documentation" by William McGill Vaden, former Deputy Manager, Technical Information Center (29-MB PDF)
- Excerpt: "… The creation of a single organizational component to centralize and manage (on behalf of all the AEC's constituent parts) the myriad complicated and detailed issues related to the control and dissemination of technical information was both natural and wise… ." The technical information activities highlighted in this book span three decades, 1947-1977.
Last updated on Friday 29 April 2016