DOE O 241.1B: Recognized the Changing Environment and New Forms of STI
• Reflected our observation of the changing environment headed our way. OSTI and STIP needed to prepare.
• Scientific communication has been transformed by modern technologies.
• Technology in part motivated the update, rather than the Order revisions driving changes to STIP.
• The Order does not require a lab to create STI nor does it require the STI that labs publish to be in any particular format.
• In those cases where labs are creating and publishing STI in new or traditional forms, the Order sets out the means for ensuring such STI is made known to OSTI so that it becomes globally searchable and made readily available for use in future scientific endeavors, and is attributable to DOE programs who fund the work.