Summary: Easier Problems of the Week
Due May 14
1. Joel from ABC Orchards is preparing to pick a crop of plums. The orchard has 132 plum trees
in it and about 104 plums on each tree. Joel estimates that his workers will pick all the plums in
8 hours. How many plums does Joel expect in all? How many plums will the workers pick each
2. Derek from ABC Potato farm is preparing to plant a crop of potatoes this spring. The field will
have 362 rows of potatoes with 168 plants in each row. Derek estimates that they will plant the
entire field in 12 hours with their planting machine. How many potato plants are there in all?
How many potatoes will their machine plant each hour?
3. John from Super Science Carrot farm is preparing to plant a crop of carrots this spring. The
farm will have 14 fields of carrots with 800 plants in each field. John estimates that they will
plant 61 percent of the field with a test crop of blue carrot seeds. How many carrots are there in
all? How many blue carrots will be planted? How many regular carrots will be planted?
4. Suzy is ten years older than Billy, and next year she will be twice as old as Billy. How old are
5. In a student election, 584 students voted for one or the other of two candidates for president. If
the winner received 122 more votes than the loser, how many votes were cast for each