Summary: Student and Academic Administration
Approaches to Leadership in Student and Academic
1. What is Leadership?
· Leaders develop the mission, vision and values of the department/section/team;
setting the direction and supporting staff in achieving our common goals.
· Leaders motivate, respect and recognise staff enabling shared involvement in our
· Leaders encourage partnership and team working within the
team/section/department and with our key stakeholder groups.
· Leaders identify and champion organisational change.
2. What is a Leader?
· A good leader is anyone who influences a group towards obtaining a particular
result. It is not dependant on title or formal authority.
- paraphrased from Leaders, Bennis, and Leadership Presence, Halpern &
· A good leader knows where we are going, why, how we are doing it, and how to
motivate through an open and trusting manner.
- Student Administration and Registry, 16 June 2008
3. Leadership Development