Summary: Guidelines for New Graduate Students
Crop and Soil Sciences Department
University of Georgia
Graduate students in the department are encouraged to follow these guidelines to ensure
timely progress towards their graduate degree.
1. When first arrived, please contact Dr. Miguel Cabrera (Graduate Coordinator - Room 4119) or
Ms. Vivienne Sturgill (Academic Advisor - Room 3108) to inform the department of your
2. Contact Ms. Pam Brown (Room 3111) to complete forms for your assistantship.
3. Contact Ms. Laura Burris (Room 3111) to:a. Get office space
b. Get keys to building, offices, and laboratories
c. Get assigned a mailbox .
4. Make an appointment with your Major Professor to be advised on courses to take during your
5. After being advised, contact Vivienne (Academic Advisor - Room 3108) to be cleared for
6. For M.S. students. During the first semester, work with your Major Professor to prepare a
draft of your Program of Study and to identify committee members for your Advisory
Committee. Before the end of the first semester, hold a meeting of your Advisory Committee in
which your final Program of Study is approved. The form to be completed at the meeting can be