Summary: Psychology 340: List of Student Ideas to Improve Campus Sustainability
- It is important for the U of R to be a leader in environmental issues. By demonstrating what can be done to
become more environmentally sustainable, the U of R can encourage the community to do the same.
Printing & paper use
- use double-sided printing/printers
- centralize printing by having fewer printers around campus. Instead of having one printer per professor,
have one printer per department
- administration, departments and faculty should be encouraged to purchase environmentally responsible
office paper and paper products - that is products which contain recycled content, or paper that comes from
companies who use resources from sustainably managed forests.
- the introduction of less-toxic office supplies and materials would also benefit the planet.
- the university should look at the reduction of paper waste and should encourage a shift towards "digital
documents." For example, have teachers provide electronic syllabuses, and handouts only (those students
who then wish to print them off may do so, and paper copies should only be provided to students who do not
have access to computers/printing); also having agendas and notes for meetings emailed out to faculty/staff
members rather than paper copies; as well, encourage the library to purchase more "e books" instead of paper
- There are numerous ways paper use can be reduced even just attempting to identify wasteful paper
practices and eliminate these can help (e.g. misuse of photocopiers, or require double sided printing of all