Summary: GENE (BIOL) 8650. Responsible Science
Offered spring semester
1. Course ID: GENE 8650.
1 hour. 1 hour per week.
This course will examine a variety of subjects related to the ethical conduct of science and ethical,
social, and policy issues related to carrying out science, especially genetics. Some issues to be
examined will include graduate education policy, mentoring, ethical standards in doing science,
authorship and publishing, patents and industrial relations, and use of animal and human subjects.
2. Name of the Instructor: Michael McEachern
3. Semester and Year Syllabus is for: Spring 2004
4. Principal course assignments: This class will mostly involve in-class discussions and listening to
guest speakers. There will be some reading assignments and one class presentation by each student.
5. Specific course requirements for grading purposes. Grading will be on A-F scale and will be
based by classroom participation and presentations.
6. Grading Policy. The final grade will be determined as described above.
7. Attendance Policy. Attendance is required.
8. Required course material, including texts. No required text.
9. Policy for make-up of examinations. There will be no exams.
UGA academic honesty: Detailed information on policies and procedures regarding academic honesty
are available at: http://www.uga.edu/ovpi/academic_honesty/academic_honesty.htm.