Summary: Study Guide for Exam 1
Study Guide- Exam I
(covers Classes 1.1 through 1.6)
Class 1.1---01/18/07: DNA Structure
Know the following terms:
Genome, chromosome, nucleotide, ribose, deoxyribose, purine, prymidine, guanine, cytosine,
thymine, adenine, uracil, minor groove, major groove, negative supercoiling, positive
supercoiling, DNA polymerase, RNA polymerase, reverse transcriptase, central dogma,
replication, transcription, translation, transition, transversion, induced mutation, spontaneous
mutation, insertion, deletion, back mutation, true reversion, second-site reversion, suppressor
Understand the Following Concepts:
1. Know the structure of the nucleotide (sugar, phosphate group, nitrogenous base) and how a
ribonucleotide is different from a deoxy-ribonucleotide.
2. Know the difference between purine and prymidine nitrogenous bases.
3. Know how nucleotides are assembled into nucleic acid molecules.
4. Be familiar with the overall structure of double-stranded DNA: Know the concepts of
antiparllel strands, 5' and 3' polarity, and major and minor grooves.
5. Understand the concept of supercoiling and how cells use it to help package and access DNA.