Summary: Tales from Dissertationland
and the Job Hunt
Institute for Software Research International
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
26 July 2005
· Alex Potanin: Will you give advice to the
Ph.D. students at the doctoral symposium?
· J: Are you sure you mean me? After all,
I'm just out of grad school myself!
· J: Besides, I'm not funny.
· A: We want someone who got a good job
recently enough to remember what it was
· Caveat emptor: this is more "recent war
stories" than "wisdom from on high"
· Advice can be very dry