Summary: CSCE551: Topics for MidTerm 1
1. Definition and state diagram notation of DFA, NFA, GNFA, PDA as well as computations
on each of these automata.
2. Definition and notation of regular expressions.
3. Equivalence of DFAs/NFAs/GNFAs/regexps. Construction of a DFA/NFA/GNFA/regexp
that is equivalent to a given DFA/NFA/GNFA/regexp.
4. Definition of regular languages and regular operations.
5. Proving that a given language is regular (by construction of DFA/NFA/GNFA/regexp).
6. Pumping Lemma for regular languages and proving that a given language is not regular.
7. Definition and substitution rules notation for CFG. Construction of a derivation and a parse
tree for a given string and a grammar.
8. Ambiguity: determination of whether a given string is ambiguously derived in a given gram-
mar; determination of whether a given grammar is ambiguous.
9. Constructing a Chomsky Normal form for a given grammar.
10. Definition and state diagram notation of PDA as well as computations on such automata.
11. Equivalence of PDAs and CFGs. Constructing of a PDA that is equivalent to a given CFG,
and vice versa.
12. Proving that a given language is CFL by constructing PDA or CFG, or disproving that with
Pumping Lemma for CFLs.