Summary: Chapter 1
Bar-Ilan University (BIU) is one of seven Ph.D.-granting institutions in Israel. It
is organized into six faculties. In addition, there are five interdisciplinary programs
under the auspices of the Unit for Interdisciplinary Studies.
§1.1 History and Development
Bar-Ilan University (BIU) opened in 1955-6. Fifty-six students began their BA
studies in four areas: Jewish Studies, Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Social
Sciences, and Languages and Literature. In the sixties, the four areas were
transformed into faculties, and various departments were established. Gradually, each
of the faculties was recognized by the Council of Higher Education, and the
institution as a whole was officially recognized on November 20, 1969.
In the late 1960s, following the Six Day War and the influx of immigrants, the
student population grew to 5,500. Meanwhile, the university also launched the
establishment of the first extension, in Safed, to be followed by four others, each of
which ultimately grew into a college under the auspices of Bar-Ilan.
In 1971, the Law Faculty was established, and the seventies also saw the
founding of the university's publishing house. The Responsa Project, which
documents two thousand years of rabbinical and Talmudic literature, went into