JACKIE'S Guidelines for Preparing a Poster
Suggestions for Preparing Posters to be Printed On the CRC Computer Room
Poster Printer in 207 Whitmore
Poster Creation using MS PowerPoint (see samples in Whitmore hallway or Davey Basement):
· In PowerPoint, set up a landscape 34" wide by 40" high presentation/slide in page setup. The paper is 42" high, but
if you want to avoid rescaling by the software you will need room for a 1" boarder on all sides.
· You will use a lot of the tools at the bottom of the screen. Use the textbox at the bottom to create areas of text. Font
size should be 24 to 28 point.
· Please use white or light color backgrounds only. Dark color backgrounds will be adjusted to a lighter color before
· Chromatograms and spectra can be scanned at 125 to 150 dpi (200 to 300 dpi if your going to blow up a small
image) using scanners in 207 Whitmore and Photoshop or other picture editor. Save in jpeg (preferred) or tiff
format. Alternatively, they can be captured into jpg's or tif's using Command/Shift/4 on the Mac or FullShot on the
PC (instructions for Full Shot are on the monitors). Also they can be copied and pasted via the clipboard into Paint
or Power Point although the results can be pretty jaggy.
· Pictures of people or apparati can be taken with a digital camera which can be borrowed (for a short time) from 210
Whitmore. You may need a blank PC floppy; files are jpg's.
· Structures can be drawn in ChemDraw or Isisdraw and copy/pasted into PowerPoint. They can be streched to an
appropriate size and seem to come out fine.