Summary: Part II Chemistry 200910
Course B7: Symmetry and Perturbation Theory
The purpose of this course is
· To explore the foundations of the theory in a bit more detail;
· In particular, to introduce the Great Orthogonality Theorem and to show how it
leads to the important theorems of representation theory;
· To extend the methods introduced in previous courses;
· To investigate a wider range of applications.
· Basic practical use of group theoretical methods as outlined in IB Symmetry
· Matrix methods from the Part IA NST Maths course (there is a reminder of
basic definitions in Appendix A);
· Some Perturbation Theory results from the first half of this course.
· Anything from the Part IB Maths course.