Summary: Franklin College of Arts and Sciences
Competitive Faculty Development Assignments
Application Deadline for 2008-2009: February 29, 2008
· Tenured faculty in the Franklin College whose appointment has lasted at least 12
full semesters (excluding summers) may apply for a faculty development
assignment (FDA). A faculty development assignment is not an entitlement. A
request for such an assignment requires a demonstrated plan to pursue scholarly
efforts, plus a strong record of scholarship. FDAs will be awarded on a
competitive basis to faculty who are active, productive scholars who propose a
research plan they will pursue while on assignment. Scholarship and research
include creative work and scholarship of teaching.
· A faculty member who has received an FDA will be eligible for another such
assignment after an additional 12 semesters of service (excluding summers).
· The Dean's Office will announce prior to the beginning of the competition how
many FDAs are available within the College.
· All departments will submit to the Dean a one-page plan describing how their
faculty apply and are recommended for FDA. The Dean or a designate will
review the plans and approve them or return them for revision. Departments may
revise their plans and submit them for review at any time.
· By a set deadline, and using the selection plan described above, departments will