Summary: Study Guide for Midterm 2 USU 1360
This NOT meant to be all inclusive. It will grow as we cover more in class.
Consult the webpage for notes and links to CSILM exercises.
You will NOT be tested on Alice. You will show your Alice skills in inclass
exercises, homework exercises, questions during lecture, and on the final
project rather than on this exam.
1. What does the term "integrative physical science" imply?
2. What is the scientific method?
3. Why do we create a mathematical model of a real world problem?
4. In doing online research, how do you identify a factual page?
5. Use the principles of "estimating the number of 3 letter words" to estimate the number of dentists in
6. In general, why do I estimate rather than use actual values?
7. What is the law of large numbers and how does it apply to estimation?
8. What is the motivation for counting such things as the following: A standard deck of playing cards has
13 spades. How many ways can these 13 spades be arranged? What is the answer?
9. How is a tree model used in enumerating possibilities? How could it be used in the "counterfeit coin"