Summary: Policy on Volunteer Workers involved in Laboratory Research and Teaching Activities in the
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Building at Michigan State University.
Volunteers are permitted to perform research and teaching activities in the Biochemistry and
Molecular Biology Building provided the following requirements are met:
1) Principal Investigators or Faculty members must notify the departmental personnel
2) The volunteer worker should complete and document all applicable safety training.
3) The volunteer worker is under the supervision of a Principal Investigator, faculty
member, Research Associate, or Graduate Research Assistant in the laboratory where
the work will occur.
4) The supervising researcher meets with the volunteer worker and reviews all laboratory
specific hazards and safety precautions. It is recommended that the Biological Safety
Checklist be completed during this meeting.
5) The volunteer must follow all departmental and university safety procedures and
6) The Acceptance of Risk, Waiver, and Release Form must be completed by the volunteer.
Acceptance of Risk, Waiver, and Release
Last name: ________________________ First name: _____________________