Appendix M - Guidelines for Preparing a Poster and Poster Evaluation Criteria
Suggestions for Preparing Posters to be Printed On the CRC Computer Room
Poster Printer in 207 Whitmore
Poster Creation using MS PowerPoint (see samples in Whitmore hallway):
· In PowerPoint, set up a landscape 42" wide by 35" high blank presentation/slide in page setup. The paper is 36"
wide, but the maximum printable side-to-side dimension is 35.5".
· You will use a lot of the tools at the bottom of the screen. Use the textbox at the bottom to create areas of text. Font
size should be 24 to 28 point.
· Chromatograms and spectra can be scanned at 125 to 150 dpi using scanners in 207 Whitmore and Photoshop or
other picture editor. Save in jpeg or tiff format. Alternatively, they can be captured into jpg's or tif's using
Command/Shift/4 on the Mac or FullShot on the PC (instructions for Full Shot are on the monitors). Also they can
be copied and pasted via the clipboard into Paint or Power Point.
· Pictures of people or apparati can be taken with a Sony Mavica camera which can be borrowed for a short time)
from Diane Colella in 210 Whitmore. You need a blank PC floppy; files are jpg's.
· Structures can be drawn in ChemDraw, Chemintosh/ChemWindow or Isisdraw and copy/pasted into PowerPoint.
They can be streched to an appropriate size and seem to come out fine.
· The PowerPoint Insert menu selection lets you insert pictures (jpg's, tif's and gif"s) from files and objects (Excel
spreadsheets or workbooks, charts, etc.) and these can be resized too.
· Before you print your poster, print a 8.5 x 11" proof copy on a laser printer or color inkjet printer. Change General