Summary: 1512 Notices of the AMs VoluMe 54, NuMber 11
On May 18, 1957, the Soviet government approved
the initiative of academicians M. A. Lavrent'ev
(19001980), S. L. Sobolev (19081989), and
S. A. Khristianovich (19082000) to create a new
type of research center in Siberia which would
integrate research institutes of all basic scientific,
technological, and humanitarian disciplines, such
as mathematics, physics, mechanics, chemistry,
geology, biology, history, economics, etc. It was
decided to build the center near Novosibirsk, ap-
proximately 3,000 kilometers east of Moscow. The
center has the status of a branch of the Academy
of Sciences of the USSR, and academician M. A.
Lavrent'ev was appointed as its head.
During the next five to ten years, 24 research