Summary: STUDENT SERVICES: ACADEMIC RECORDS & DISSERTATIONS
915 E. Washington Street · 0120 Rackham Building · Ann Arbor, MI 481091070
7347630171 · Fax: 7349361809
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org · www.rackham.umich.edu
ADVANCING TO CANDIDACY TIP SHEET (Ph.D. Students)
A student may advance to candidacy after fulfilling all departmental coursework requirements and passing prelims. An audit for
advancing to candidacy includes verifying the following information:
1) Program The program name on the form must match the active program on the unofficial transcript. If the program is
an IIDP/SIDP or is paired with Scientific Computing, there must be a signature from each department on the form.
2) Residency 18 credit hours (CTPs) of non- 990, non-visit, graded (including courses for which a student receives a
"S" - Satisfactory) graduate coursework registered as a Rackham student.
3) Cognates 4 hours of graduate cognate coursework (grade B- or better). If the cognate requirement is met by a cross-
listed course or "in spirit" from coursework outside U-M, please list on the cognate line on the form.
4) Time to Candidacy If it's been more than three years since the student started the program, a Petition for Modification
or Waiver of Regulation asking for an extension for time to candidacy may be required.
5) Prelim Registration Deadlines for prelims for each term are listed on our website. There must be a registration for the
date that's on the form in the Preliminary Date field. Exceptions:
If the student was registered full-time (8 hours, 6 if the student is a GSI, GSSA or GSRA) Fall and Winter they could