Summary: Employee Self-Service W-4 Federal Tax Withholding
All employees have access to submit W-4 Federal withholding information online once they receive a computing ID.
Self-Service is available 24 hours a day and updates are reflected immediately. Because of this access, Payroll will no
longer be accepting paper W-4 forms.
1) Go to www.hr.virginia.edu and click on the "SSTL" button at the top to sign in to Self-Service.
2) Enter your username, which is your computing ID/email ID, and password. If you do not know your password,
click on the "reset your password" link under the log-in boxes or call (434)982-0123 Monday-Friday, from 8a-5p.
3) Click on the "UVA Employee Self-Service" link on the left and select the "Tax Form" menu option.
4) Click on "Update" to enter in Federal withholding information. Single and 0 is the required IRS default.
A. To have Federal tax withheld from each paycheck
1. Choose a "Filing Status."
2. Enter in the number of Allowances from tax you want to claim. 0 means the highest amount of tax will
be withheld. The larger the number, the less tax is withheld.
3. Enter an additional dollar amount you want withheld for Federal tax every pay period, or enter 0 for no
4. Click the box next to "I Agree" and click "Continue."
5. Review the W-4 form for accuracy and click "Submit" to save your changes
B. To not have Federal tax withheld from each paycheck
1. Ignore the information under Filing Status, Allowances, but make sure "Additional Amount" is 0.
2. Check the box next to "Exempt" to not have Federal tax withheld from each paycheck if you qualify.