Summary: Brief Overview of APEX
APEX Website: www.fusion.ucla.edu/APEX
APEX/HPD Workshop, Tokyo, Japan
February 21-23, 2000
Identify and explore NOVEL, possibly revolutionary,
concepts for the Chamber Technology that might:
1. In the near-term: enable plasma experiments to more
fully achieve their scientific research potential.
2. In the long-term: substantially improve the
attractiveness of fusion as an energy source.
3. Lower the cost and time for R&D.
Chamber Technology Goals
Used in APEX to Calibrate Progress
1. High Power Density Capability (main driver)
Neutron Wall Load > 10 MW/m2
Surface Heat Flux > 2 MW/m2
2. High Power Conversion Efficiency (> 40%)
3. High Availability