Chapter 2 - History
Louden, Chapter 2/Scott, Chapter 1 1
· When (decade) was first compiler written
for a high level machine?for a high level machine?
· What were the first languages like?
· Why do we have so many languages?
· What makes a language popular?
· How is the importance of a language
j d d?judged?
Louden, Chapter 2/Scott, Chapter 1 2
Example of Babylonian
"Programming" (p. 35 of text) to
make an underground cistern to
The length equals the height - we want the width.
A certain volume of dirt has been excavated.