Summary: ATTACHMENT TO FORM 8233
(For use by students of France who are claiming Tax Treaty exemption).
1. I was a resident of France on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not
a United States citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of
residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am temporarily in the United States for the primary purpose of studying at The
University of Michigan.
3. I will receive compensation for personal services performed in the United States.
This compensation qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal income
tax under the tax treaty between the United States and France in an amount not in
excess of $5,000 for any taxable year. I have not previously claimed an income
tax exemption under this treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or
student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. I will be present in the United States only for such period of time as may be
reasonably or customarily required to effectuate the purpose of this visit.
5. I arrived in the United States on ____________________ (date of last arrival in
the U.S. prior to beginning study at The University of Michigan). The treaty
exemption is available only for compensation paid during a period of five tax
Under penalties of perjury, I declare that the above statements are true, correct, and