Summary: Study Skills
A useful study skills guide, with advice on how to manage workload, prepare for
assignments, and exams is available at:
Undertaking, structuring, researching, and writing assignments
The exact nature of assignments will vary from class to class and may involve
individual work, group exercises or practical work with, for instance, software
packages. Assignments are an important part of your course, and to do them
properly, you should be aware of the need to follow certain conventions. There are a
number of standard questions you should ask yourself in order to give yourself the
greatest opportunity to produce an effective assignment:
· What am I being asked to do?
· What criteria are being used to assess me?
· What weighting is placed on the various elements of the assignment?
· How will I structure the assignment?
· What research will I have to do?
· Does this look and read like a professional piece of work?
· What source material did I use for the assignment?
· What deadlines have been set and what deadlines should I set myself?