Summary: Whale Watching:
1. BE CAUTIOUS and COURTEOUS:
approach areas of known or suspected
marine mammal activity with extreme
caution. Look in all directions before
planning your approach or departure.
2. SLOW DOWN: reduce speed to less than
7 knots when within 400 metres/yards of
the nearest whale. Avoid abrupt course
3. AVOID approaching closer than 100
metres/yards to any whale.
4. If your vessel is unexpectedly within
100 metres/yards of a whale, STOP
IMMEDIATELY and allow the whales to
5. AVOID approaching whales from the front or
from behind. Always approach and depart
whales from the side, moving in a direction
parallel to the direction of the whales.