Summary: Reading Guide for Amir D. Aczel's The Mystery of the Aleph
1. Explain in your own words your understanding of the equation 20 = 1.
1 Ancient Roots
2. Who was Zeno of Elea, and what are his paradoxes?
3. List some of the ideas of Pythagoras and the Pythagoreans.
4. What is the method of exhaustion, and who was Eudoxus?
5. Briefly summarize what Kabbalah is.
6. Define gematria.
7. What are the Sefirot?
3 Galileo and Bolzano
8. Galileo, in a dialogue, has Salviati set up a one-to-one correspondence between two sets. What are
those sets, and what is the significance?
9. Explain the vacancy policy at Hilbert's Hotel.
10. How did Bolzano extend Salviati's example?
11. Describe the Riemann sphere and why it is important.
5 Squaring the Circle
12. How is it that the rational numbers have measure zero?