Summary: Reading Guide for The Golden Ratio: The Story of
Chapter 1. Prelude to a Number
1. What is the Golden Ratio?
2. Define incommensurability, and relate to the Golden Ratio.
3. Relate , the chambered nautilus, and Dali's Sacrament of the Last Supper to the Golden Ratio.
Chapter 2. The Pitch and the Pentagram
4. How large a number can you recognize at a glance without counting?
5. Discuss at least four different base systems, their possible origins, and where they are utilized today.
6. Define numerology, and discuss its reliability.
7. Highlight some of the main ideas associated with Pythagoras and the Pythagoreans.
8. Relate the pentagram, the pentagon, and .
9. What is the mathematical significance of the Egyptian Horus eye?
Chapter 3. Under a Star-y-Pointing Pyramid?
10. Where in ancient remains is purported to figure?
11. Is there convincing evidence that and were both known to and used by the ancient Egyptians?
Chapter 4. The Second Treasure
12. How does mathematics fit into the philosophy of Plato?
13. What are the Platonic solids?
14. The Parthenon is on our itinerary. Where is it, and when will we be there?
15. Relate the Parthenon to the story of .