Summary: Office of Academic Diversity and Equal Opportunity, UCSD Rev. 7-9-10
SEARCH CHAIR EVALUATION CRITERIA AND PROCESS STATEMENT
(For Ladder-rank Faculty Recruitments in Health Sciences)
Position level and discipline of recruitment:
OADEO recruitment tracking number:
RATIONALE FOR STATEMENT:
The process used to evaluate candidates is vitally important in hiring the best candidate for a position. A search committee
will be most effective if all members agree in advance on the evaluation criteria to be used and the need for a fair, equitable,
and defensible selection process.
GUIDELINES FOR THE SELECTION PROCESS:
· Avoid evaluation bias. Become knowledgeable about research on bias and assumptions and how they can adversely
impact the selection process; strive to minimize their influence.
· Apply agreed-upon criteria and selection process. Agree in advance on the evaluation criteria and selection process
(including how to handle disagreements during the process). Apply them consistently.
· Take sufficient time. Evaluate the entire application of each applicant who meets minimum standards.
· Get different perspectives. Have at least two search committee members review each application.
· Don't rank order immediately. Assess each candidate using agreed-upon evaluation criteria before determining overall
ranking. Ranking of applicants should be derived from evidence-based judgments rather than general impressions.
· Strive for excellence, not pedigree. Do not de-select applicants solely on the basis of an affiliated institution; do not