Summary: Bore Soliton Splash
Onno Bokhove, Elena Gagarina, Anthony Thornton, Jaap van der Vegt, Wout Zweers
Departments of Applied mathematics/Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Twente & FabLab Saxion Enschede, The Netherlands
· Request: Create a soliton in wave channel for opening Edu-
cation Plaza at University of Twente, see Fig. 1.
· Response: single soliton too boring.
· The show: Create a water feature for opening at Education
· The science: Create highest splash possible in water channel
using bores and solitons; and, control it.
· Self-imposed constraint: no structural damage.
Water wave channel:
· Two sluice gates, one removable by excavator.
· Uniform channnel section.
· Linearly converging channel at one end, see Fig. 1.
Fig. 1. The water wave channel.