Summary: January 17, 2002 Senate Minutes
1 of 6 2/18/2007 2:56 PM
Meeting of the Faculty Senate, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences
January 17, 2002
Approved, with corrections, on February 21, 2002
1. Call to Order: Presiding Officer Irwin Bernstein called the meeting to order at 3:35 pm.
2. Change of the Date for the March Meeting: The March meeting of the Senate has been moved from
Thursday, 28 March, to Tuesday, 26 March.
3. Identification of Proxies and Visitors:
Proxies: Senator Robert Rumely for late-arriving Edward Azoff (Mathematics); Bradley Bassler for
Randolph Clarke (Philosophy); Senator Ben Blount* (Anthropology) for Ervan Garrison (Geology); Senator
Steven Grossvogel for Nina Hellerstein (Romance Languages); Senator David Leigh for Ikubolajeh Logan
(Geography); Senator Stephen Valdez for Jean Martin (Music); Charles Doyle for Barbara McCaskill
(English); Senator Gary Love for Hennig Meyer (Physics/Astro); Senator Claudio Saunt for Reinaldo Roman
(History); Glenn Wallis for David Williams (Religion); and Senator Alisa Luxenberg for Gene Wright (Art).
Absent: James Anderson (Chemistry). 39 present and 1 absent. Visitors: None.
*The Bylaws state that proxies must be from the same department as the senator being represented.
4. Approval of the Minutes for the meeting of 15 November, 2001 with one correction.
Claudio Saunt was not absent but rather was represented by Proxy Senator Renaldo Roman (History).
5. Remarks by Associate Dean Hugh Ruppersburg: