Summary: ASTR 1120-001 Midterm 2
Phil Armitage, Bruce Ferguson
SECOND MID-TERM EXAM MARCH 21st
2006: Closed books and notes, 1 hour. Please PRINT your
name and student ID on the places provided on the scan sheet. ENCODE your student number also on
the scan sheet.
Questions 1-10 are TRUE / FALSE, 1 point each. Mark (a) True, (b) False on scan sheet, using a number 2
1. The speed of light depends upon the velocity of the light source relative to the observer. FALSE
2. A clock moving at high speed relative to an observer appears to run slow. TRUE
3. The General Theory of Relativity includes the effects of gravity. TRUE
4. An accelerating observer feels heavier in exactly the same way as if the strength of gravity had
5. Neutron stars and black holes are compact objects which have event horizons. FALSE
6. Radiation that escapes to large distances from very near the event horizon is shifted to higher
7. Supermassive black holes are commonly found in the spiral arms of galaxies such as the Milky Way.
8. The center of the Milky Way is hard to observe in visible radiation due to obscuration by intervening
gas and dust. TRUE