Summary: 2012-2013 FINANCIAL AID TIMELINE
· Search and apply for scholarships. Many deadlines are before the year's end, so pay close attention to varying
deadlines. Visit www.uh.edu/scholarships for more information about UH scholarships and other scholarship
· Apply for your Federal Student Aid PIN at www.pin.ed.gov/PINWebApp. The PIN will be used to electronically sign
your FAFSA on the Web and complete your Master Promissory Notes (MPN) and Loan Counseling for federal
educational loans. You and your parent(s) must apply for separate PINs.
· Parents and students should file tax returns (electronic preferred) as soon as possible.
· If you cannot wait until the IRS Data Retrieval Process becomes available on February 1 (due to private loan or
scholarship deadlines), submit your FAFSA in January and monitor your myUH account in the event that more
documentation is needed because you have been selected for verification. It is strongly encouraged that you wait
until February if possible.
· Beginning February 1, 2012, filers will be able to use the new IRS Data Retrieval Process. The IRS Data Retrieval
Process allows the applicant to view and transfer IRS tax return data directly from the IRS website into the
appropriate fields on the FAFSA.