CCSF Topical Lunch Summary
Systems Approach to Sustainable Energy
October 28, 2009
· Systems approach includes 5 components: management, context, identification of
problem, finding solution, and implementation of solution.
· Energy considerations: sources, distribution, and conservation;
· Maximum energy potential, feasibility, economic viability and societal acceptance
have to be considered for each of these.
· Interactions with other complex systems such as food, water must be considered.
· Energy is a topic of tradeoffs. Quantification of economic and environmental
impacts is essential.
· Challenge is to accomplish this and find funding for such projects.
· Systems area faculty hires needed.
Attendees expressed their interest in systems, sustainability and energy, mentioned related
research areas and colleagues who should be contacted. Cornell's breadth of research and
interest in sustainable systems in Engineering, AAP, AEM, and Agriculture was evident as was