Summary: Topics in Applied Mathematics (Special functions):
Fall 2009, MWF 11:3012:20 in the BLOC 161
Professor: Michael Anshelevich, 326 Milner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 8456679 (please
Office hours: M 1:502:40, TTh 11:1012:10, or by appointment.
Textbooks: LEON, "Linear Algebra with Applications", 7th edition, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0131857851,
and SPIEGEL, "Schaum's Outline of Fourier Analysis with Applications to Boundary Value Prob-
lems", 1st edition, McGraw Hill, ISBN 0070602190.
Prerequisites: Math 221, 251 or 253, MATH 308 or concurrent enrollment therein. In other words,
vector calculus, calculus of several variables, multiple differentiation and integration. Later in the
course, we will also use series and differential equations.
· Matrices and systems of linear equations (Chapter 1 of Leon).
· Vector spaces (Chapter 3 of Leon).
· Inner products and orthogonality (Chapter 5 of Leon).
· Eigenvalues and eigenvectors (Selected from Chapter 6 of Leon).
· Bessel functions, Fourier series, and the heat equation (selected topics from Spiegel).
Exams: We will have two in-class tests on Fridays, September 25 and October 30. The final