Summary: Study Guide for the Final Exam
Study Guide- Final Exam
Study Guide- Comprehensive Part
- 28 questions will be taken from previous exams (14 multiple choice, 14 half short answers).
- These questions may be reworded; DO NOT try to memorize old answers.
- The way to study for the comprehensive part of final is to understand why original answer was
correct, AND why the other choices were wrong.
Study Guide- Part 4 (covers 4.1 through 4.6)
Class 4.1---04/12/07: Exceptions to the Fundamentals of Molecular Biology
Know the following terms:
Ribozymes, Group I introns, Group II introns, L19 catalytic RNA, riboswitch, maturases,
viroids, virusoids, hammerhead structures, RNA editing, deaminase enzymes, terminal
uridyltransferase (TUTase), RNA ligase, guide RNAs, exteins, inteins.
Understand the Following Concepts:
1. Know how a guanine nucleotide acts as a cofactor for the splicing of Group I introns.
2. Know the types of genes that contain Group I introns.
3. Know the mechanism for splicing or the 26S rRNA in Tetrahymena.
4. Know how the secondary structure of Group I introns leads to self splicing.
5. Know how the L19 RNA generated from a Group I intron can catalyze the addition of