Home

About

Advanced Search

Browse by Discipline

Scientific Societies

E-print Alerts

Add E-prints

E-print Network
FAQHELPSITE MAPCONTACT US


  Advanced Search  

 
The Storminess Record from Armagh Observatory, N. Ireland 1796-2002. Introduction
 

Summary: 1
The Storminess Record from Armagh Observatory, N. Ireland 1796-2002.
Introduction
Armagh Observatory was established in 1790 by Archbishop Richard
Robinson. Robinson was the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh
(Butler and Hoskins 1987). Although the main focus of the Observatory
was astronomy, daily meteorological records were kept from 1794, when
the Observatory became operational. Only air temperature and barometric
pressure were recorded during 1794 and 1795. From 1796 to 1843 wind
direction was also recorded and a brief written daily weather comment
was also included in the daily weather register. The daily description
of weather included reference to storms and their effects. The only gap
in the record is from mid-1825 to 1832 when no weather data was
collected. In addition, no daily weather descriptions were recorded for
1883. From 1844 to the present there is also wind strength data, mostly
instrumental but also some observer data. This makes this dataset the
longest ongoing weather record on the island of Ireland.
The Observatory is located on top of a drumlin on its own site of
approximately 14 acres. The Observatory although located on the edge of
Armagh city is still predominantly surrounded by farmland and the

  

Source: Armagh Observatory
Armagh Observatory Meteorology Databank

 

Collections: Geosciences; Physics