Summary: ATTACHMENT TO FORM 8233
(For use by students of Slovenia and Venezuela who are claiming Tax Treaty exemption).
1. I was a resident of ________________________on the date of my arrival in the
United States. I am not a United States citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded
the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am temporarily in the United States for the primary purpose of studying or
training at The University of Michigan.
3. I will receive compensation for services performed in the United States. This
compensation qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal income tax
under the tax treaty between the United States and_____________________ in an
amount not in excess of $5,000 for any tax year.
4. I will be present in the United States only for such period of time as may be
reasonably or customarily required to effectuate the purpose of this visit.
5. I arrived in the United States on ____________________ (date of last arrival in
the U.S. prior to beginning study at The University of Michigan). The treaty
exemption is available only for compensation paid during a period of five tax
years beginning with the taxable year that includes my arrival date, and for such
period of time as is necessary to complete, as a full-time student, educational
requirements as a candidate for a postgraduate or professional degree from a
recognized educational institution.