Advanced Search

Browse by Discipline

Scientific Societies

E-print Alerts

Add E-prints

E-print Network

  Advanced Search  

Foreign Individuals List of Things To Do

Summary: Foreign Individuals
List of Things To Do:
1) Find a place to reside.
2) Apply for your Social Security Number (SSN). http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
3) Get a telephone line installed. You'll need your SSN. There are a number of service
providers in the area. (This is so that you can use your bill as evidence that you reside
at your place of residency. You don't have to get a telephone line if you don't want to.
You'll then have to show your lease and this may not be the best thing to do.)
4) You'll want to open a bank account. You'll need proof of residency, your contract and
your SSN. There are a number of banks near campus but you should do your research
and find out which ones don't charge service expenses on checking and savings. Make
sure to get checks...makes paying bills easy.
5) Talk to Debbie McCreless about any other paperwork you'll need to file. Direct
Deposit slips (you'll need a checking/savings account), benefits package...etc.
6) See Mary Wood about building keys.
7) Apply for a WSU One Card. You can also obtain a parking permit at the same location.
They will also give you a WSU ID ("post_doc"@wayne.edu) and password to access
the internet at home. We already have internet access available in the lab. You'll want
to introduce yourself to Marty and Nestor and make sure they become your good
friends. The will give you a "post_doc"@chem.wayne.edu email address. These guys


Source: Andreana, Peter R. - Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University


Collections: Chemistry