Summary: CSE241 Recitation 5 Handout
· Many real world applications: constant time looking up table, store a password, file checksum for
network transmission, Bloom Filter
· To handle collision: chaining (and `probing' when we want to hash items that are fewer than the
· What is the Heap property?
· Operations on heap: getMax() and insert()
1.3 Binary Search Tree
· Insert and delete operation
· The worst case of BST's performance?
· BST operation: Left and right rotation
· BST operation: Insert to the root
· BST operation: Random BST has an average case of depth lgn.
Problem 1. Compare hashing and BST, what are the pros and cons?
In the following, there are a few questions on the data structure that we have learned so far. They are
mostly tricks we may want to use sometimes.