Summary: Problems of the Week
Due April 16
1. Daniel and Brad ar playing a game in which players are awarded either 7 points or 17 points
for a correct answer. What is the the greatest score that CANNOT be attained?
2. How many different 5-digit numbers can be obtained by using any 5 of the digits 2, 3, 5, 5, 5
3. Laura is waiting for a flight at the airport. The terminal has a moving sidewalk (like a flat
escalator.) When not on the sidewalk, Laura can walk the length of the sidewalk in 7 minutes. If
she stands on the sidewalk as it moves, she can travel the length in 5 minutes. If Laura walks on
the sidewalk as it moves, how many minutes will it take her to travel the same distance? Assume
she always walks at the same speed, and express your answer as a decimal to the nearest tenth.
4. Out of 600 fish in an aquarium 95 % are guppies. How many guppies must be removed so that
the percent of guppies in the aquarium is 70 %
5. Of 6600 apples harvested, every third apple was too small, every fourth apple was too green,
and every tenth apple was bruised. The remaining apples were perfect. How many perfect apples