Summary: Throughout 2011, the University of Regina celebrates 100 Years of Excellence in Education, a
century-long history of teaching and research -- a place where many generations have studied
and have gone on to succeed as innovators and leaders throughout the world.
"History tells us where we come from and where we are going. Paradoxically, it is about the
future as much as it is about the past," says James Pitsula, history professor at the University of
Regina. "Historical commemoration has always been about identity building, taking pride in past
accomplishments and projecting forward a sense of purpose and mission. As individuals, we give
our lives meaning by telling stories about ourselves and then living out the narratives. The same
is true of institutions."
The history of the College Avenue campus dates back to the early 1900s. The Methodist
church, the City of Regina and prominent Regina businessmen came together, discussed and
conceptualized the Regina College -- funds were raised soon after to make it a reality.
To demonstrate its support for the new college, Regina's city council voted to donate a block of
land as a temporary home for the college until the permanent buildings were constructed. The
recently vacated Victoria hospital on that site was used for the inaugural Regina College classes
in September 1911. That year, 27 students began studying business, chemistry, stenographics,
modern languages and physics. Construction began on 23 acres on the north side of Wascana
Lake and the new building was officially opened on October 14, 1912.
During the First World War, Regina College students, professors and faculty members joined
the military which began a tradition of service to the community that continues to this day and