Summary: ATTACHMENT TO FORM 8233
(For use by students of Trinidad and Tobago who are claiming Tax Treaty exemption).
1. I was a resident of Trinidad and Tobago on the date of my arrival in the United
States. I am not a United States citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the
privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am temporarily in the United States for the primary purpose of studying at The
University of Michigan.
3. I will receive compensation for personal services performed in the United States.
This compensation qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal income tax
under the tax treaty between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago in an
amount not in excess of $2,000 for any taxable year. I have not previously claimed
an income tax exemption under this treaty for income received as a teacher,
researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. I will be present in the United States only for such period of time as may be
reasonably or customarily required to effectuate the purpose of this visit.
5. I arrived in the United States on (date of last arrival in the U.S. prior
to beginning study at The University of Michigan). The treaty exemption is
available only for compensation paid during a period of five tax years.
Under penalties of perjury, I declare that the above statements are true, correct, and