Summary: Information provided by
Manager of Graduate Scholarships and Awards
Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research Rev. January, 2011
INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
APPLYING FOR A SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER (SIN)
Do you need a Social Insurance Number?
· You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada, including on campus at
the University of Regina.
· If you are receiving funding of any sort through the University of Regina, including
scholarships and teaching assistantships, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
in order to receive your pay.
The following information should assist you in obtaining your Social Insurance Number (SIN):
Complete the Employment Contract:
· Employment Contract available at
· Complete the top portion of the Employment Contract, then sign and date it.
· Take the Employment Contract, a copy of your current study permit, and the letter
offering you the position, to the academic unit that is offering you the position. (i.e. refer
to the name of the department/academic unit at the top of the letterhead.)
· The academic unit will copy the form to their letterhead and complete the rest of the