Summary: Recommended Core Values
Here are 5 policy directions that can help shape a future U of R vision.
1. Visionary Leadership
· Make Regina and especially the U of R a leader in queer service provision, instead of a
chronic straggler. Encourage other schools to follow our lead.
· Take a proactive, welcoming approach. Understand that harassment and discrimination
prevention is necessary but not sufficient.
· Commit on paper with a guarantee for ongoing policy support.
2. Real Engagement, not Political Correctness
· Know the difference between political correctness and real understanding of complex
issues. Understand how serious these issues really are.
· Understand that, although LGBTI people are sexual beings, their needs go much further
than relationship rights and sexual hygeine.
· Know the different kinds of queerness and recognize that their needs are different.
Remain open to new models of queerness as they emerge.
· Know the difference between homophobia, transphobia, and heterosexism, and
understand that these are not the only problems LGBTI people face.
3. Human Services, not just Human Rights
· Recognize the accessibility barriers that still impact most LGBTI people despite some