Summary: Version August 1, 2007 Environ_Permit_Info.doc
Page 1 of 2 8/1/07
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR EA AND IHA NOAA FISHERIES PERMITS
Under the terms of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) of 1972, an Incidental
Harassment Authorization (IHA) http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/ is required for each
seismic program conducted on the R/V Marcus G. Langseth. In order to initiate the
application process the Chief Scientist is asked to provide the following information
pertinent to the cruise.
1. Name of Project and Proposal Number
2. Name and address(es) of PI(s)
3. Designated contact for further information if needed.
4. Ship and sailing dates
5. Overview of Activity. A short description of the activity.
6. Source array(s) that will be used during the seismic survey. If more than one is to be
used, (eg: 9 airguns for reflection and 18 airguns for refraction) it is essential to
define exactly which lines will be shot with each array.
7. Length and number of Streamers to be used. Estimate of the time the streamer will be
deployed. Please note that the streamer is not considered as a source of harassment
but it does limit the maneuverability of the vessel among other factors.
8. Track Charts (If you have a digital file overlaid on bathymetry, this is ideal). The