Extramural Study Status Information and Checklist
(Rackham Ph.D. Students Only)
A student who pursues study relevant to the Ph.D. at another educational institution for a period of time that overlaps substantially with a
University of Michigan fall or winter term may be eligible for extramural study status. A student must seek authorization in advance from
Rackham for extramural study, providing documentation confirming acceptance to the course of study and proof of registration or confirmation
of payment of tuition and/or fees.
To be eligible for Extramural Study, all of the following conditions must be met:
· The student is in good academic standing.
· The student has completed at least one Fall or Winter semester of study in the Ph.D. program.
· The Ph.D. program's graduate chair confirms that the course or program is relevant to the student's degree and
ability to complete the University of Michigan Ph.D.
· The course or program of study at the other institution is one that requires the payment of tuition or a
registration-related fee for a student's enrollment.
· The course or program is at least 7 weeks in duration and overlaps at least 7 weeks of a single University of
Michigan Fall or Winter semester as defined by the start and ending date on the University academic calendar.
· The expected duration of the student's Extramural Study Status does not exceed six Fall or Winter semesters.
The duration of the current request for Extramural Study Status combined with any previous period of
Extramural Study Status does not exceed the limit of six semesters over the course of the student's Ph.D. career.
Important: Rackham will not approve Extramural Study Status retroactively. If a student is discontinued from the Ph.D.