Energy Citations Database
ECD Alerts Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is an ECD Alert? Is there a charge for receiving Alerts?
- An ECD Alert is a notification of an update to the ECD in a subject of interest
to the user. Some examples are "solar energy", nanotechnology,
and "adenosine triphosphatases". There is no charge for
- How do I register to receive an Alert? and how do I renew my registration?
- To register to receive an ECD Alert, please see the ECD Alerts
Registration page. Your registration expires after
six months. To renew your registration, you must change your password
- How do I request, revise, or cancel an Alert?
- To request, revise, or cancel an Alert, please go to the ECD Alerts
Log On page and log on.
- How often will I receive an Alert?
- Alerts are sent weekly on Wednesdays.
- Where can I find a summary of my Alerts? And how long is my summary
- A summary of your Alerts can be found on the Alerts
Summary page. You must log
on in order to access
your Alerts Summary. Your summary is available to you as long as you
are registered and have a current password.
- What do I do if I do not receive an Alert that I am expecting?
- If you are no longer receiving an Alert that you are expecting, please notify us and describe your difficulty. Please remember to provide your Alert Name and your e-mail address.
- What are the password requirements to receive Alerts?
- Password requirements are as follows:
- A. Your password must include
- at least eight non‑blank characters in both upper case and lower case
- a number in the first seven characters
- a special character in the first seven characters
- a nonnumeric in the first and last position, and
- may not contain any portion of your e-mail address.
- B. Also:
- Your password should not include your own name, nor, to the best of your
knowledge, that of close friends or relatives.
- Your password should not include your employee serial number, Social
Security number, birth date, phone number, or any information about you
that could be readily learned or guessed.
- Your password should not, to the best of your knowledge, include common
words that would be found in an English dictionary, or from another language
with which you have familiarity.
- Your password should not, to the best of your knowledge, employ commonly
used proper names, including the name of any fictional character or place.
- Your password should not contain any simple pattern of letters or numbers,
such as “qwertyxx” or “xyz123xx”.
- The passwords you use should be different than any passwords employed
on any classified system that you use.
- What do I do if I have forgotten my Alerts password?
- If you have forgotten your Alerts password, you will need to request that
your password be reset.
- How do I change my Alerts password?
- To change your ECD Alerts password, fill in the Alerts Password Reset
- How do I change my Alerts e-mail address?
- To change your Alerts e-mail address, fill in the Change
Alerts E-mail Address form and submit. You will receive an e-mail with further
instructions. If your existing Alerts e-mail address no longer exists,
you will need to re-register.
- How do I cancel my registration for Alerts?
- To cancel your registration for Alerts (which also cancels all your current
Alerts), please log
on, fill in the Confirm
Cancellation of All Alerts form, and submit it.
- How do I get help with ECD Alerts?
- In addition to this Alerts FAQ page, there is an ECD
Alerts Help page that contains additional information. Please feel free to
notify us if you have questions about ECD Alerts or wish to make a comment.
- How do I get help with ECD?
- To get help with ECD, please see the ECD
and/or the ECD FAQ page.
- What other databases/products/services are available from DOE's Office of
Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI)?
- Other OSTI-provided databases/products/services can be found in the left
column on the OSTI Home Page.